Aside from having contents that relate with losing weight, being fit, and staying active, one thing that I thought of writing about is “how to avoid an injury” while working towards your own goals. In this article, I will give you some tips on stretching exercises, ways to treat injuries, and dealing with muscle soreness. Shall we?
Stretching is essential before starting any physical activity because it lessens your chance of injuring yourself. It would be appropriate to stretch from head to feet. Depending on the activity that you plan on doing, I suggest that you stretch extra on that part of your body to help you mobilize better. Also, don’t forget to breathe while stretching because it allows you to maximize your flexibility. If you keep this habit of stretching, I think that it will help you in the long run. It may help you develop a proper posture, be able to reach higher or harder places, be able to mobilize yourself in various movements. Let’s face it, as we grow older, our body starts physically decline. It doesn’t sound nice but Let’s be real for a moment. Here are some tips on how you stretch some parts of your body.
- Head: Fold your neck on all 4 directions (left, right, forward, back) for 30 seconds.
- Shoulders: Point one of your arm in an opposite direction while the other arm goes under it. Place the arm that is under a little further away from you and you start pulling towards you. You should feel some kind of burn.
- Upper Shoulder: Place both of your hand in a prayer position at the same time with your forearms. It should look like you’re really begging for mercy. Remember to keep this position in a 90 degree angle and try to push your arm position further away from yourself. You should feel some kind of burn. I like this stretch because it helps you with your upper back and also helps you prevent from slouching as you grow older. In reference of this stretch, I learned this from a Legendary dancer.
- Lower back: There’s several ways for stretching lower back but my favorite is the seal pose. I often use this pose and helps with my lower back. Lay down on your back facing the floor. Use your hands to slowly lounge your body forward. It would be best if you lounge your body in an arch motion so that you target some part of your lower back muscle. Don’t forget to breathe!
- Hip and Legs: I would suggest that you should try this stretch while you’re sitting on a chair. Put one of your foot on top of your other foot’s thigh and turn your direction at the leg that is being stretched. Try to hold this position for 30 seconds.
Best Way to Treat Injuries
When doing physical activities, whether if its sports or work, we may be prone to injury. Strange enough that doing desk work, we are still susceptible to some kind of injury or pain. The elderly often struggles with walking as they age and would often rely on walkers or canes. As we undeniably grow older, the best treatments for knee pain and prevent yourself from having complication with joints is to prescribe to “Glucosamine”. Taking supplements such as glucosamine helps lubricate our joints such as in our knees and wrists. I find that taking glucosamine is one of the best treatments for knee pain. Another one that helps naturally is “Turmeric” because not only this spice is useful for cooking but its also packed with anti-inflammatory properties which helps you with body pain and aches.
As an active person, I had several past injuries that I had to deal with. The worst injury I had ever dealt with is a partial tear of my ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament). If you feel that your injury is unbearable and you’re suffering from an excruciating pain, I suggest that you immediately contact a professional who can help you deal with the pain that you are feeling. The sooner you deal with the pain, the better. Immediate treatment for muscle injury or any physical injury is essential because prolonging injury and ignoring it may cause some harm in an individual’s well-being.
How to Deal with Muscle Soreness
Injury is one thing but soreness is another. I find that after doing strenuous activities, you feel sore the next day. I find that stretching before and after the activity helps alleviate the soreness of the body. As mentioned above, adding turmeric to your diet helps tone down the soreness after a physical activity. Lastly, trying out services such as deep tissue massage, acupuncture and cupping. Personally, I prefer last choice above all lol.
These are some tips on how you deal/avoid injuries and soreness of the body after certain physical activities. I hope you enjoyed this article and provided some kind of insight when doing physical activities. Thank you and I’ll see you on the next one!